Wednesday 5 January 2011

A house for the A-Team

The A-Team enjoyed their first two weeks of life in a simple brooder box constructed from a large plastic tub, and red heat lamp.


Things were beginning to get cramped and I had been unable to get a rabbit hutch so I decided I would have to have a go at making something myself.

I used mostly recycled and reclaimed items to make this crude but functional chicken pen for the youngsters. All up it cost me $20 for the roll of avery wire and $30 for a large piece of ply which covered the back, back sides, and top of the pen.



Inside the rear section, which is raised. The cardboard box aims to serve as a cold brooder as they are off the heat lamps already, however I don't think they are using it so I will remove it soon.



They are very happy with their new home and will stay there until they outgrow it. Then they will move down to the second pen which sits alongside the main pen until they are integrated into the other flock at about 16 weeks.

No comments: