Friday 7 January 2011

A Little Ray of Sunshine

After an incredibly rainy few days and 40mls of rain overnight, it was fantastic to see the sun today. Yes it was masked by clouds for most of the day, but HURRAH - a little ray of sunshine popped through here and there.

Not enough to convince me to hang my washing on the outside line, but definately enough for me to let the chickens out for a nice free range today.As always, a naughty few flew the run and I found them relaxing and scratching about under a neighbour's tree (luckily he doesn't mind them coming over and fertalising his trees every now and then!).



It was a frangipani tree, with gorgeous pink-tinged flowers just begging to be photographed.



The rain kept us all house-bound. The kids began to go crazy, I began to go crazy. Even poor Ben, our 8mth old Jack Russell was forced to sit and watch the falling rain.


And our driveway is really getting a hammering:



So I am very thankful for a break in the rain today!

I am also excited to have received my Bellsouth 100 incubator in the mail. It is second hand, purchased through Farmstock, however is in excellent condition.


It has automatic turning so I don't have to turn the eggs morning and night. Pretty much just set and forget, only topping up the water tray when necessary then preparing the eggs on day 18 for hatching on day 21.


I have ordered 2 dozen eggs from Shrimani Farm and am busting to get some eggs set. I should have them in by this time next week. I have already planned a following incubation, setting some pekin duck eggs from my sister and brother-in-law's ducks. Setting eggs is just too addictive!


My 3 week old chicks are all going well. I can't wait to see what they all feather out like, seeing as there are a few cross breeds amongst them. I will also have the hard decision of which roosters to keep (1 for myself, 2 for friends requiring roosters) and which to chop.

I will post some updated pictures of the chicks at 3 weeks tomorrow, IF I can catch them!

No comments: